Cookies are files that can be downloaded to your computer through web pages. They are tools that play an essential role in the provision of numerous information society services. Among others, they allow a website to store and retrieve information about the browsing habits of a user or his or her computer and, depending on the information obtained, can be used to recognize the user and improve the service offered.
Types of cookies:
Depending on who is the entity that manages the domain from which the cookies are sent and handle the data that is obtained can be distinguished two types: own cookies and third party cookies.
- Own cookies: are those that are sent to the terminal equipment of the user from a computer or domain managed by the publisher and from which the service requested by the user is provided.
- Third party cookies: These are those that are sent to the user's terminal equipment from a computer or domain that is not managed by the publisher, but by another entity that treats the data obtained through the cookies.
There is also a second classification according to the length of time they remain stored in the client's browser, which may be session cookies or persistent cookies.
- Session cookies: These are a type of cookies designed to collect and store data while the user accesses a web page. They are usually used to store information that only interests to preserve for the provision of the service requested by the user on a single occasion (eg a list of products purchased).
- Persistent Cookies: They are a type of cookies in which the data is still stored in the terminal and can be accessed and processed during a period defined by the person responsible for the cookie, and that can go from a few minutes to several years.
Finally, there is another classification with five types of cookies according to the purpose for which the data obtained are processed: technical cookies, personalization cookies, analysis cookies, advertising cookies and behavioral advertising cookies.
- Technical Cookies: They are those that allow the user to navigate through a web page, platform or application and the use of the different options or services that exist in it, such as controlling traffic and communication of data, identify the session, access restricted access parts, remember the elements that integrate an order, carry out the process of buying an order, make the application for registration or participation in an event, use security features during navigation, store contents for the broadcasting of videos or sound or sharing content through social networks.
- Personalization cookies: These are the ones that allow the user to access the service with some general characteristics predefined according to a series of criteria in the user's terminal such as the language, the type of browser through which it accesses service, the regional settings from where you access the service, etc.
- Analysis cookies: These are the ones that allow the responsible of the same, the monitoring and analysis of the behavior of the users of the websites to which they are linked. The information collected through this type of cookies is used in the measurement of the activity of the websites, application or platform and for the elaboration of navigation profiles of the users of said sites, applications and platforms, in order to introduce improvements in function of the analysis of the usage data that the users of the service do.
- Advertising Cookies: These are the ones that allow the management, in the most efficient way possible, of the advertising spaces that, if applicable, the publisher has included in a web page, application or platform from which it provides the requested service based on criteria such as the content edited or the frequency at which the ads are displayed.
- Behavioral advertising cookies: These are the ones that allow the management, in the most efficient way possible, of the advertising spaces that the publisher has included in a web page, application or platform from which he / she provides the requested service. These cookies store information of the behavior of the users obtained through the continuous observation of their browsing habits, which allows to develop a specific profile to show advertising in function of the same.